Adele becomes ordained minister

Adele reportedly got ordained online specifically to perform a wedding for her close friends.

In addition to being a worldwide superstar, apparently Adele can now add “ordained minister” to her extensive resume. That’s according to a report from The Guardian, which indicates the singer joined the Universal Life Church earlier this year to officiate a wedding for her close friend Alan Carr and his partner.

Carr broke the news on a morning television show in the U.K., explaining how Adele was adamant she’d be involved in his wedding. “I want to do your special day. Let me do everything”, she reportedly told him. In addition to acting as wedding planner, Adele got her minister credentials online and dressed up in an extravagant officiant outfit to perform the ceremony.

After the news broke, she posted on Instagram about the experience:

According to Carr, she also doubled as the wedding singer and performed a song for their first dance. “She is the kindest, most sweetest, loveliest person ever. She flew us to Vegas to see Celine Dion sing. She sang my first dance. It was the best day of my life,” he recalled during the TV interview.

It’s unclear if Adele plans to perform any more ceremonies in the future, but if she does have designs to officiate again, the notoriously-private celeb will likely keep them quiet.

Exclusive Company

Adele becomes only the latest famous personality to harness the power of online ordination in order to perform weddings. This already-extensive list includes such notable names as Bryan Cranston, Conan O’Brien, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ian McKellen, Jason Segel, and many more.

Who do you think will be next?

1. Ben says:

Did she have any religious training?
    Even as a witch, my coven presented a list of things I needed to learn and do, before I could get ordained here. Took me a few years to complete.

1. William Waugh says:

The way I see it, it’s like this. Like having a CDL (commercial drivers license) You have to have it to step up on the highway. But only focused effort and time will produce a quality contractor. It’s what you make of it!

1. Ben says:

You need training to get a CDL.
        Just clicking on “ordain me”, without any training, not only does a disservice to the community, but makes us look less legitimate.

CDL, or M.B.B.S. or M.S or ??? Government issued licenses are done for a reason. To follow government guidelines. Even if they follow the FDA rules “only a drug can prevent or cure” type laws. Where is all that needed to “bless some one” in any type of endever they choose to embark on?. The couple still needs to file the government document / contract & pay them $$$, to do what one can do on their own for free. Separation of church & state. One not even need to go thru the pre-rituals… Just head down to the J.O.P. & pay the fees. Performing premarital functions (4 the most part) is an unregulated industry.

1. Ben says:

But this isn’t government issued license for a civil job.
            We’re clergy. This is a Spiritual post. We represent the divine, which carries responsibilities.

2. bob says:

i don’t like the heralding, the announcing of a celeb becoming a minister. So What! Is a celeb becoming a minister any more important, more newsworthy than my becoming one? Being ordained as a minister has spiritual responsibilities and is a serious calling. It should NOT be promoted and announced to the world. VERY unlike JESUS!

3. Catherine Ohrin-Greipp, MSW, LCSW says:

How lovely. She had loving intentions to marry her friends. It is good to know that very positive people, including celebrities like Adele have joined us. Not like you two resentful, negative men. Good for her. There is joy in hearing her songs. Congratulations to Adele!

1. Ben says:

What if I really wanted to perform surgery for a friend, but had no medical training?
      Would that be lovely?
      No, it would not.
      Her getting ordained like this, is like buying Fruit Stripe gum, as an impulse buy, while checking out at Target.

1. William Waugh says:

Why did you get ordained? Just to dig at others? Do your research. Anyone can be called to god as messenger….and anyone can operate a class 8 rig …but few are ace drivers.

@ William.. Simplistically said, But well put.

Ben…respectfully, if you sit quietly, and meditate peacefully, you may find that judging others blocks your path to God/love…Peace…Tom

1. Ben says:

Those among the pagan community, that I’ve spoken too, agree that it is our responsibility to police our own.
          To make sure nothing untowards is being done by anyone in the community.
          My God’s, I believe, won’t condemn me for protecting the community, by pointing out a spiritual leader, who is unqualified to hold that position.

Ben…respectfully, there is no such thing as spiritual responsibility in this “world”…we are all here at points on our karmic path to peace/God…the closest thing to “responsibility” we can show to others is to show them love and compassion…this “world” does not need leaders; it can use the modeling of love, compassion, forgiveness, and the like…Peace…Tom

3. Catherine Ohrin-Greipp. MSW, LCSW says:

@Ben, you are truly a sorry, resentful man. Perhaps you need a refresher on our ULC:
        The Universal Life Church (ULC) is a multi-denominational religious organization with millions of members all over the world. Over the decades, the ULC has garnered global recognition for its promotion of universal togetherness and religious expression around the world.
        By becoming an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church, you’ll be granted all the rights and privileges afforded to clergy members of other faiths – including the ability to perform legal wedding ceremonies. Ordination also opens the door for you to start a personal ministry, preside over other religious and spiritual ceremonies, and much more. Plus, unlike traditional religious organizations, we don’t require years of training or expensive courses to become a member of the clergy. The Universal Life Church believes that all people are naturally endowed with the right to control their own spiritual life, and thus that all those who feel so-called should have access to ordination.
        The ULC has only two core tenets that ministers must uphold:
        1. Do only that which is right.
        2. Every individual is free to practice their religion however they like as long as their actions do not impinge upon the rights or freedoms of others and are in accordance with the law.

The ULC champions religious freedom, social justice and spiritual expression. We never waver in our conviction that performing spiritual duties is a right that all should share, and we will always stand up for our minister-members in this regard. The ULC supports many organizations that work for oppressed or underrepresented individuals. We are very proud of the work and victories that we’ve helped to win in areas such as religious freedom and the legalization of same-sex marriage.
        Perhaps, Ben, you need help getting right with yourself, the ULC ministers and learn how to behave in a loving, spiritual manner. You are demonstrating the opposite of what the ULC is about.

Catherine…respectfully, except for your judgment of Ben, I agree with all you have written…Peace…Tom

1. Catherine Ohrin-Greipp MSW, LCSW says:

@Tom. My response was in relation to Ben’s negative and disrespectful comment about my stating it was “lovely” that Adele had loving intentions, as I had indicated in my initial post about congratulating Adele. I would not have called him out othewise. Was I judging his behavior in relation to his comments about mine, yes, and I will again if needed.

Catherine…thank you for writing…respectfully, why do you think it is ever spiritually positive to be judgmental?…although sometimes it is hard, i feel it is true… Peace…Tom

Joseph…you appear to be straying from maintaining this blog as a spiritual forum…you have not responded to me before; i will appreciate a response from you as to the nature of the blog…Peace…Tom

Joseph…what has to be done to engage you in a dialogue?…coming face to face?…your choice of topics is clearly opinion; why not blog/debate?…the ULC should not just be open to all religions; it should be open to spirituality without religion…Peace…Tom

My MC has its own ordination papers and process, but I can’t apply for it because you have to sign a paper saying you accept the belief in the Holy Trinity, and I cannot do that in good conscience, as I do not believe the Holy Spirit is a third entity.

The “trinity”? Thats a subjective term… What is “the trinity” as TRULY intended by the laws of nature, the laws of LOVE, the laws of GOD? Lets review some of the ways we see “trinity”. It can imply. 1, “Father, Son, Spirit (be it all as one or separate (take your pick)). 2, Parent, Adult, Child. 3, Me, Myself & I. etc etc.. ALL of these (and others) hold depth of meaning & are NOT word games. Few ppl know the true depth of these meanings. Still waters run deep in how most have been taught what most biblical type quotes mean in depth. Example; I am that I am ~VS~ I am, That I am. I = Ego. Agreeing to a simplified, misunderstood meaning of Trinity can mislead the already phaneronic, skewed views most currently hold.

…which is why I did not agree to it, James. Glad we can agree on that much.

6. rabbi jim says:

Greetings all! Welcome Adele. Many rewarding experiences here. Sholom and have a wonderful day!