Kansas Governor Sam Brownback

Some think the appointment was a symbolic move by the White House, meant to send the message that America is, first and foremost, a Christian country.

President Trump’s nominee for “Religious Freedom Ambassador” is causing extreme consternation among the LGBT community and its advocates. The president’s pick is Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, a man who critics say poses a distinct threat to LGBT rights. If confirmed, Brownback will lead the Office of International Religious Freedom, a branch of the State Department responsible for monitoring religious persecution and discrimination around the world. For his part, Brownback appeared thrilled with the nomination:

A pro-LGBT protest in Kansas

Gov. Brownback’s anti-LGBT policies sparked numerous protests

History of Unfriendly Policies

Governor Brownback, a devout Christian, has been a vocal opponent of numerous LGBT issues such as gay marriage, transgender bathroom use, and transgender military service – to name just a few.

Equality Kansas, a pro-LGBT group, released a scathing statement opposing Brownback’s nomination:

“Since his inauguration in January of 2011, LGBT Kansans have faced near-annual assaults on our liberties and our dignity in the name of ‘religious freedom. His goal is not to use religion as a way to expand freedom, but to use a narrow, bigoted interpretation of religion to deny freedom to his fellow citizens. He has caused enough damage here in Kansas. We do not wish him upon the world.”

A Peculiar Choice

It’s not just the LGBT community that views Brownback unfavorably. In fact, he currently holds the second-lowest approval rating of any governor in the country (25%), trailing only Chris Christie of New Jersey. His policies as governor nearly bankrupted the state of Kansas, and much of the legislation he championed had to be repealed.

So why choose Brownback for the position? Many think it was due to the governor’s uncompromising Christian beliefs. They say it was a symbolic move by the White House, meant to send the message that America is, first and foremost, a Christian country.

A Bible with an American flagChristianity and Politics

In that sense, it’s no wonder Brownback was chosen. If you were going to select one person to represent the intersection of the Christian faith with politics in the United States, Sam Brownback is the perfect candidate. Burdett Loomis, a political science professor at the University of Kansas, has followed Governor Brownback’s career closely.

Loomis notes that the embattled governor has become more and more religiously conservative over the years, moving from “conventional to Midwest Protestantism to a sort of Evangelical Christianity to becoming a member of Opus Dei.”

Impact of Hardline Christian Influence

Given these hardline beliefs, one can understand why the LGBT community is wary of the appointment. If confirmed, Brownback could use his position as Religious Freedom Ambassador to advance anti-LGBT policies not just in the United States, but around the world as well.

What impact might this have? The LGBT community has enough problems in some countries as is – having a voice of authority in White House condoning discrimination on religious grounds is probably the last thing they need.

What do you think of the nomination?

1. Dee says:

Terrible nomination! There is a reason for division between church and state. This administration uses the word “religious” to promote its racist, elitist attitude.

1. John Wilson says:

I’m with you on this….. I find it disingenuous that the evangelicals have seen the pathway to power and thus can easily give up on there commitment to religion.

1. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

Because they have to sell their soul to dark forces and attend that ritual at Bohemian Grove! Once you’ve sold your soul, and your on video screwing and snuffing children to that statue Muloch the Owl… (or under the Pizza Parlor) Religion becomes pointless!

Politicians like rock stars, must sell their souls to rise to prominence! This is Satan’s world, because the Christians believe it is, and use that as their justification (excuse) so they don’t have to take responsibility for the World they live in, and helped to create, and in their ow willful ignorance and lack of responsibility help to bring about!

You made your beds. Lay in them!

Please illustrate a documented example of racism or elitism.

1. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

Ignorance is bliss!

Well, I’m glad you are happy, Lightning, but I was asking Dee for a documented example of racism or elitism.

3. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

There was NEVER a separation between church and state! You people live a flat out lie! and In my research I can prove the Church of Satan RUNS the Cremation of Care Ritual at Bohemian Grove! You know? The CHRISTIAN leaders YOU elected into office? The same leaders who cremate their care for the people who elected them to care for them! You know that act of HIGH TREASON that is performed and held every mid summer at the bohemian Grove! …”Their midsummer fire festival!!!”

There was NEVER a separation between ‘Church and State’! just like everything else about America… a flat out lie!

Uh-oh. Hey, Lightning, I commented on a couple of your other comments in less than flattering words, but I’m really with you on this. Most of these people don’t know about the Grove or believe it. They think any secret that becomes exposed is just a paranoid conspiracy theory.

2. Amberhawk says:

The fourteenth amendment was supposed to clarify that. They didn’t tighten up the wording well enough but it was meant to be make a clear divide. There will likely be some clarification since it keeps coming up. I did lift the following off the oxford research encyclopedia site:

In the modern Court’s first Establishment Clause holding, Everson v. Board of Education (1947), Justice Hugo Black wrote:

The “establishment of religion” clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another […] No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion […] In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect “a wall of separation between Church and State.”5

It is a mistake to appoint anyone who professes an organized religion to a post like this…it is automatically biased and prejudiced…

if Donald Trump appointed Rue Paul to this position, the crybabies on the left would find fault with it, because Trump did it. He hasn’t done anything to hurt any of you and you hate him anyway. That’s all y’all do is cry.

Oh, and about 80% of your crying has something to do with LGBT concerns. The problems of modern life, huh?

4. rabbi jim says:

What a shame! LGBTQ rights are for people, too. How dare they backseat them!

Who has been backseated? Details, Jim.

1. Larry Copeland says:

LGBT is not a religion it is a Satan cult. They do not practice religious beliefs they practice Satans beliefs and downgrade the Bible teacings

1. Sam says:

People like you Larry who have so much practice satans religion. God loves everyone, but you clearly practise self hate and hate to those who are not the same as you.
          I feel sorry for your family members who may have to hide their sexuality because of your cultish hatred.

2. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

Thank you for proving my point! If anyone is NOT like you you call them EVIL! And them you condemn them to hell! You can’t even see how ignorant you are!

LGBT is NOT a satanic cult! You an ass! You bigot!

3. Lilly says:

If they practice Satan’s beliefs, how are those not religious beliefs?

2. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

Well said Rabbi Jim! They don’t understand till it happens to them! Just wait till they are targets on a hate list!

IT IS COMING! They use cute little catch phrases like “what comes around goes around”, and “Karma”, but they seem to think it doesn’t apply to them!

“Do unto others, as you would have other do unto you!” They need to swallow their own medicine for once! … Its Coming!

Love thy neighbor as thy self! They need to practice what they preach and shove down everyone else throats, for once!

5. Ray says:

ALL American’s enjoy the same rights, even cry babies.

Does the phrase, “same rights” mean, “rights to do the same things,” or, “rights to the same possessions?” I’m just wondering, because people have some very different ideas about “rights”. A lady asked me if, since my body will need medical treatment all my life, didn’t I think “Healthcare” should be a “right”. I told her, absolutely not. There IS a big difference between a need, a want, or desire, and a “right”. You have a need for shoes, but not a right. You have a need for food, shelter, protein, vitamins, fiber, a lot of things, but not a right. You have a right to be a crybaby, and I have a right to call a person a crybaby. I’m just curious what rights are being deprived of LGBTQ people here.

1. Mike says:

No rights are being deprived. The LGBTQ community enjoys the same rights as everyone else. Just because the white house is not focusing on LGBTQ, their community cry Nazi! The law is on their side now. They will always be mocked for what they get up to at those Pride festivals. The BDSM gear they flaunt themselves in public with and in front of kids. One guy had dildos sewn into and all over his full body suit. there were kids in front of him. He was gyrating and twerking it was disgusting to see.

For real. Normal people are getting fed up.

Joseph is playing y’all like BB King played Lucille. He knows you’ll just start wailing and bitching, in a pre-emptive bitch, since nothing has happened at all regarding this appointment. You don’t want to be friends to the U.S. You want to be friends to the U.S.’s enemies. I think you deserve a lot worse than Donald Trump has ever done to you. Oh, that’s right, we already had WORSE, for the last eight years. Economic malaise and civil strife, and you want to make more of THAT. How unworthy of the U.S. can you be?

7. Minister Norman says:

What a LIE…

And what a horrid choice for a Post that is supposed to represent ALL RELIGION & ALL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE (and should also represent those who abstain or choose NO RELIGION at all); if this is truly a position that champions “Religous Freedom”.

Imposed “Chistianity, from a “like it or not” perspective, is no more a “Valid Choice” than Radical Islam is any kind of “True Religion”!

And have we learned nothing from Radical Islam, and those who practice Sharia Law; those who would inflict the “Laws” of their Religion on others?

Look at our Terror-Stricken World!

I guess clueless Christians, “Religious Zealots”, who champion the “Christian” version of Religiousity imposed on Secular Society, really have no problem with this! Well I sure do!

This man is a deplorable choice!!

Keep Religion in the CHURCH, and otherwise maintain our Separation of Church and State… Or we will wind up like too many Islamic States today, where one-single Ideology is inflicted on all of the People!

Don’t FORCE your Beliefs on others!!!

PS: The proof that this (proposed) appointment is just WRONG: Would those in favor of this Nut Job be so adamant if he was Muslim and espoused such beliefs? …NO!!!

Our enemies will force THEIRS on you if you don’t grow a spine and use your brain for something besides thinking of reasons to hate others and cry about your shortcomings.

1. Minister Norman says:

Looks like you need a giant mirror for than one John Owens, if only to see your outsized ego!

In the words of a furry sage, Buggs Bunny, “What A Maroon!”

1. Minister Norman says:

PS: John Owens, you sound like a really clueless, and extremely SCARED little Religous Zealot!

Norm (although you are anything BUT), from whence cometh the religious zealot talk? Have I actually done any evangelizing or proselytizing? Or do you spray whatever stupid thing you can when you are trying to provoke someone to anger? You are the scared one. You are foaming and raging over an appointment that up until now has not affected anyone. YOU are a crybaby. An impotent little crybaby. Boo hoo. You hurt my feelings. Boo hoo. Woe is me. I’d still like for you to tell me where you get that religious zealot bullshit. Then take a Midol and some hormone therapy.

Oh, and Abnorm, when a Democrat accuses someone of ANYTHING undesirable, it is only because that is what the Democrat has going on with his or her own self. Now, read your silly little rants at me, and tell me you don’t feel small.

You just go on and on, accusing me of doing what you are doing, and all I am doing is pointing OUT what you are doing, and you rant and rave like a little spoiled brat with soiled underpants.

I REALLY would like you to copy and paste something I wrote that would suggest religious zealotry. I don’t think you can, because I haven’t. Your worm-eaten brain just spits out the same crap all the rest of you do,, hate, religious, bigot, — you just say stuff without any basis in fact and believe it because you said it.

2. Minister Norman says:

…And “…hate others”? Have you read your own Posts!?!

You spew HATE like Trump spews Twitter insanity!

I’m talking about equality, while you’re advocating Christian Supremacy! How Hateful of you toward anyone who doesn’t share your narrow beliefs!!

Copy and paste my hate that I’m spewing, Abnorm. Just do it. I haven’t ADVOCATED ANY SUPREMACY. YOU are taking psychedelic drugs or psychotropic mushrooms. You just make crap up and type it with an exclamation point as if that makes it so. You need a shrink.

1. Minister Norman says:

Get a Mirror; that’s a start!

COPY AND PASTE THE HATE THAT I AM SPEWING! THAT IS THE CHALLENGE TO YOUR TIRADES.

2. Minister Norman says:

…And by your own measure of “The Smeller’s the Feller”, shut the hell up and go change your diaper, or “Soiled Underpants” as the case may be! ROTFLMAO

You’re a sick little puppy, Abnorm. And probably too low-functioning to have any intelligent conversation, anyway. You cry too much.

2. Minister Norman says:

Funny (LOL), then why is it YOU who comes off like a low grade pointless cry baby?!

You only ATTACK others (I didn’t start this), because you have no Intelligent points of your own to make; just the same-old shop-worn Right-Wingnut idiocy! How does Rush Limbaugh’s backside smell; I mean if he was Chewing Gum? LOL

Go Away Now, and bother someone who cares about your insane idiotic beliefs as much as you fain do!

IF there is any intelligence in our convo, it came from ME, but it is difficult to have an intelligent conversation with a basketcase. Not once did you justify any of the accusations you made against me. YOU called ME names, you twit. Now, please continue making a jackass of yourself, by all means. Good day.

3. Amberhawk says:

Enemies? Force? When did Jesus ever talk like that? Wasn’t he the one that walked into it without lifting a weapon or a nasty word? Wasn’t he the one that purposefully refused to fight? You sound so angry and bitter. How do you hear or feel God with all that buzzing through your head?

I’m angry there are people like you trying to teach others how to live, when you obviously cannot guide your own footsteps.

In the Wilderness, Yahweh armed the Israelites, even though He was there to protect them. Try to think with something besides your sacred dogma. Jesus didn’t call us to be idiots.

Bitterness is for pushovers and cowards who do not defend themselves and are bitter that God won’t defend them either, because they think they are sooo righteous that He should. He laughs at them.

Jesus also told the others in Gethsemane, “If My Kingdom were of this aeon, My servants WOULD fight.” That was right after Peter cut off the ear of one of the Temple Guards and Jesus replaced it.

Gosh, if only more of you bleeding hearts had ambition…some of YOU could be screwing up the country. Oh, … that’s right… YOU ARE, by opposing EVERYTHING, and pissing and moaning about everything.

1. Minister Norman says:

…Last time I looked, Republicans controlled all FOUR Branches of government (Executive, Judicial, House, and Senate), but still can’t get anything done! LOL

BTW, I’m a staunch INDEPENDENT!

I have news for you, Abnorm, you aren’t STAUNCH anything. You’re too weak and emotional to be STAUNCH.

1. Minister Norman says:

…Ooooooh! IKIABWAY LOL

Quite, while you only seem unbalanced!

Everyone is unbalanced to YOU, Abnorm, unless they’re reeling around in sync with you. Because you are insane, you think I am. Perfect example of DEMOCRAT behavior. Because you are so far left, and I am in the center, I look far right to you. I’m not. You are in left field.

BTW, Abnorm, what adult uses that IKIABWAY thing? I think you’re an airhead, and I have to go and do something more important than tormenting an emotional basketcase.

Type ALL the goofy goon-babble you want. I, and EVERYONE else will read it tomorrow and see what an idiot you can make of yourself.

3. Minister Norman says:

Litte John, I see ALL CAPS in your future! LOL

4. Minister Norman says:

PS: little “John”, you’re the one throwing his “Soiled Underpants” around. How “adult” of you. Perhaps you should wear them on your head!

Originally, I simply posted my opinion but I never once addressed you or responded to your posts directly, not until YOU attacked ME (and as if you’re the Arbiter of Taste and Moderator of Opinion), and yes, I then responded.

BTW, you had me at “Good Day!” But then you just kept coming back, as you do with literally everyone’s posts. Ad nauseum!

What a Boar!

You never substantiated one stupid thing you said, you baby. Now go change your maxipad.

1. Minister Norman says:

Like too many pointless goose-stepping Republitards, you rattle on like an empty drum. I guess “baby” or “cry baby” has replaced “snowflake”, and any form of deeper thinking. Too bad Intelligence hasn’t replaced your childish and redundant stupidity.

Get a clue, then get some new material. Your inability to think for yourself, Independent of the Right-Wing-Nut herd is so absolutely obvious, and your insipid comments must even put off your friends; assuming you have any!

What a Boar!

9. Bernard Moleman says:

What more rights do LGBTs NEED? They already poinson tap water with gay chemicals to create more of their ilk.

These perverted pornographers won’t be satisfied until they’ve eliminated all straight men and have our women in breeding stations while they live a life of UNBRIDLED HEDONISM.

1. Minister Norman says:

Gosh, I hope that’s satire!

If not, get help; and soon!!

1. Bernard Moleman says:

Your liberal mind can’t comprehend a difference of opinion. How SAD.

1. Minister Norman says:

“A difference of opinion” isn’t usually a NASTY indictment of an entire group of people, that includes rediculous and unsubstantiated allegations.

…And “Our Women”? I seriously doubt that’s an issue you need concern yourself with! LOL

Your pathetic mind obviously can’t comprehend REALITY!

How SAD.

Crawl back into your hole MOLE MAN!

1. Minister Norman says:

PS: Produce some data on those “Gay Chemicals” no one’s ever heard of… You seem to know so much about them!

2. Bernard Moleman says:

It’s not my job to educate you, Norman. Perhaps stop suckling the teat of the CLINTON NEWS NETWORK and find real news. Obama put gay bombs in tap water to create more Democrat voters (same reason he left borders wide open). Try to think critically for once.

3. Minister Norman says:

I’d laugh if what you’re saying wasn’t to psychotic!

LOL anyway… What a kook!

I’ll repeat my earlier advice: GET SOME HELP!!

2. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

Hitler had the same opinion as you!

Hitler, Hitler, Hitler. Douchebags are always calling people Hitler. Anything that disagrees with whatever stupid, childish thing they are whining, and it’s Hitler. Waaa, waaa, waaa, Hitler!

10. sasmith004 says:

Well i feel that people can do.their own thing as lo g as they dont expect special treatment. These folks are exepcting special treatment as are the illegals, Musilms, and ecerybidy else. Yet when it comes to Christananty, this is a dirty word. Christans as well as the gay comunity are killed over seas.
    I am tried of everybody eles belifes being forced on ne. If i say something they dont like i have offended them, violated their rights( SOME ARE NOT EVER UA CITIZENS), then it is called a hate crime.
    I guess with all my soap boxing i am trying to say is get over yourself and do your oan thing by yourself.

1. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

Muslims DON’T expect special treatment! they expect EQUAL treatment! They are blinded by the illusion of Tolerance when they come to this 2 faced country then are shocked when they are treated like trash! But to you christians you have an insatiable need to belittle beliefs that are not YOUR beliefs! and chalk equality as “special treatment”! You are just bigots hiding behind an allegedly honorable belief system! The real terrorists are CHRISTIANS who repeatedly feel compelled to condemn anyone not like to eternal Damnation and eternal fire!

I laugh when I think about what is about to happen in this country of USA. You deserve everything you get!
      Find out how it feels to be on the receiving end of a campaign to be exterminated!

And you are a perfect example of why Muslims are not acceptable citizens. Read your stupid ravings and ask yourself, if you were anyone else, would you want YOU to live next to you? Moron.

11. Michael Bryant says:

well I have heard it all here on this issue . I am a christian and I dont support the LGBT view of life . I do feel it is the wrong choice and i dont believe it is something people have no control over , I dont believe you are born that way . I dont believe I am a bigot or a fascist for believing this way . IT IS MY OPINION AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO IT JUST LIKE ANYONE IN THE LGBT COMMUNITY HAS TO THEIRS .

All that being said in America we have the right to do as we feel and according to the rule of law people of the LGBT view have a right to pursue this regardless of how any one else feels.

That being said people of the Christian view also have right to be heard . Appointing someone to a position who openly claims to be a bible believing christian is no different then appointing an LGBT person to the same position . Either way some one is not going to agree and they are going to feel threatened. That is just the way it is. However under the law we are all protected regardless. To think that if this Guy is appointed to this position , some how all Gays are going to be put back in the closet is absurd . The comments I have read above seem to feel this is where things will be going . stop having night mares …. we are living in 2017 things are not going to turn back .

I will keep my faith regardless of popular opinion and the LGBT folks can keep theirs . Currently we are both protected under the law as we should be .

There is one thing we all have to deal with in the end . If God is what the Bible claims and Homosexuality is wrong , then those that follow that path will not end well .

If I and the rest of Christians are wrong , well we wont suffer at all .

God Bless you all and have a nice day

12. Craig says:

The United States was a melting pot–a place where people could escape religious persecution. It’s time we embraced that again. America should be a place where everyone can practice religion as they see fit without fear of discrimination, disdain, or retribution.

The fact is, Christianity has a history of demonizing other religions and showing no tolerance toward other beliefs.

As do ALL OTHER beliefs, in the interest of self-perpetuation. To do otherwise is to commit slow suicide.

1. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

YEP! as I said, anyone not Christian is condemned to hell by you so called “tolerant christians!”

You said it! Thank you for proving my point! You deserve everything you about to get!

Well, Lightning, from whence is this utter destruction going to come, and why do you think yourself to be more tolerant than I am? Oh. That’s two questions. Answer if you can, please.

13. Just a. HEBREW says:

READ THE SCRIPTURES, SODOM AND GAMORRAH .

14. Rev. T. Lightning Bolt says:

This nation. “America” is a racist bigot! Everything you know to be true is a flat out scam! Freedom of religion only for white mainstream christians, only! Those who say this isn’t true are looking out their WHITE window of privilege as they bark freedom of religion! I have seen the scam and the flat out lie for what it is! You people just legislate the humanity right out of people NOT like you! Then you fluff up your chest feathers claiming “tolerance”! The persecution of christians which is coming is exactly what you people deserve! Find out how it feels to be treated like a “black person”! You are so delusional America! AND now days you just call the minority faith a “Terrorist” Then you bomb the Sh%t out of them, and steal their resources with armed mercenaries! You are not tolerant you are Hateful, you just disguise your hate!

Yea right, you don’t hate! You just legislate!
    The chickens are coming home, and YOU WILL FIND OUT HOW IT FEELS TO BE TREATED LESS THAN HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU ARE THE INDIANS NOW!

You need to stop drinking those energy drinks and eat some carbs. Maybe take a laxative or eat some fiber. Maybe you won’t be so cranky. Your comment comes across as a bit hysterical. Try a valium, some warm milk, SOMETHING.

1. Aberhawk says:

I am sorry but I’ve been reading your comments all morning that span the last few days and all I’m seeing from you is cranky, angry, bitter ranting. Do you realize you are doing this? It’s quite rich you advising such a thing… maybe take your own advice because you clearly are in need of it yourself.

Maybe you need to blow it out your backside. Every time I seem angry it’s because a rube like you is talking like a smarty-pants. Maybe if you had any grey matter in your cranium you could say something besides calling people bitter and angry.

15. Bill Millhouse says:

I find that most of the “so called” Christian leaders are hypocrites and are only interested in the almighty dollar. If anything they seem to be worshipping everything that Christ condemned. I am a pagan priest and know more about what is written in the Bible than they do.

1. Aberhawk says:

I don’t know if I’d go so far as most, but definitely many, quite a few. I know where you are coming from though. It’s funny how some of the things assumed in the bible really don’t mean what they think. It’s also funny most of them follow a KJ version or equivalent that has been altered from the original. Earlier versions don’t quite support some of these statements either.

2. Mike says:

….and most pagans run through the forest naked. Stereotype much?

16. Bill Fox says:

The people who voted for President Trump largely claim to be Christian. This is a token political gesture to voters. If various non-Christian groups feel the Constitution is being violated, they should have their legal council(s) take the matter up in the courts, so that the People can see who they support. “Amendment 1 Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

17. Minister Rob says:

As long as he observes the right of The People to freedom of religion…ALL of The People, and ALL religions.

18. Sister Leslie Gray says:

Brownback and tRump are a pair of scribes, or is that pharisees… no matter. They’re two of a kind and both unfit for either and all of the positions they’ve absconded with at the expense of the freedoms and reputation of the nation and the people. Matthew 7:16 “By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?”