Montana Marriage Laws

Written and edited for accuracy by the Montana marriage law researchers at the Universal Life Church on

Montana has its own particular set of legal requirements concerning marriage ceremonies. We will guide you through each step of the process, detailing everything that must be done in order to guarantee the legal standing of the ceremony.

Requirements for the Couple

Min. Age of Couple:
Age 18 or Age 16 with Judicial Approval
Not Required
Min. Distance of Kin Allowed:
Second Cousins
Marriage Equality:

In order to get married in Montana, one must be 18 years old or older. With judicial approval, however, one can get married after turning 16.

The state of Montana prohibits marriages between first cousins, but it does not require couples to live in the state prior to marriage, and it also recognizes marriage equality, so both same-sex couples and couples from out of state can legally wed there.

Marriage License Requirements

In Montana, couples need to apply for their marriage license in person from the clerk of the district court, and it costs $53 to apply.

Marriage licenses must be picked up in person after presenting a government-issued photo ID. In order to complete this process, anyone who has been previously married must provide proof of divorce. Keep in mind that no blood test is required in the process of obtaining a marriage license in Montana.

Marriage License Facts

ULC-Officiated Ceremony Type:
Mandatory Waiting Period:
License Valid For:
180 Days
License Must Be Submitted:
Within 30 Days of Ceremony

Although marriage licenses issued in Montana can be solemnized in both civil and religious ceremonies, ministers ordained by the Universal Life Church are specifically empowered to perform religious ceremonies.

There are no mandatory waiting periods for couples looking to get married in Montana, and, once granted, a Montana marriage license is valid for 180 days and must be submitted within 30 days of the ceremony.

Requirements for the Minister

Min. Age of Minister:
Age 18
Not Required
Document(s) Required:
Varies by County
Online Ordination Recognized:
Relevant Office of Registration:
Clerk of Court
Latest Document(s) Submission Date Allowed:
After the Ceremony
Minister I.D. # Issued:

To officiate a wedding in Montana, a minister must be at least 18 years old (which also happens to be the minimum age required to be eligible for a ULC ordination). The personal beliefs and background of the minister do not matter to the state, nor does the minister’s state of residence.

Ministers who are interested in performing wedding ceremonies can start the registration process by reaching out to the clerk of the district court. The documents required for this process vary by county, but our ministers in Montana have reported that the Classic Wedding Package covers all the basics.

Please bear in mind that because the registration process varies by county, it is imperative that the minister contact the same clerk that will issue the marriage license to determine what (if any) documentation is required in order to guarantee the legality of the ceremony. Different offices might offer different instructions. The ULC generally recommends that ministers keep their ordination credential available for this purpose, although some clerks will not require ministers to provide any documentation whatsoever.

Wedding Ceremony Requirements

Marriage By Proxy Allowed:
Minister Required to be Present:

Although parties to the marriage do not have to be physically present for the ceremony, the minister must be present. Furthermore, although the couple has the liberty to customize their wedding to suit their needs, marriage ceremonies in Montana do still require the traditional “I do” moment for the couple and the “I now pronounce you...” declaration from the minister, and there must also be at least two adult witnesses to the ceremony.

Final Steps

Officiant's Title on Marriage License:
Church/Ordaining Body:
Universal Life Church Ministries
Address of Church:
Minister's Home Address

A minister's responsibility doesn't simply end at the altar.

In fact, it's normally the job of the officiating minister to fill out their own section of the marriage license, to mark their title as “minister” and their ordaining body as “Universal Life Church Ministries,” and to then provide their home address (since ULC ministers are not considered employees of the church).

In Montana, the completed marriage license must be submitted back to the clerk of the district court who originally issued it within 30 days of the wedding.

Interested in Performing a Montana wedding?

Be a MT Wedding Officiant

Are you Considering Becoming a Minister in Montana?

See the Steps to MT Ordination

Proceed to your Ordination Application

Become Ordained