Created and reviewed for accuracy by researchers at the Universal Life Church Ministries

Utah Outline

Congratulations! If you've found yourself at this page it is likely that you are either planning to be married or have been asked to perform a wedding ceremony in Utah. Ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church have successfully performed thousands of legal marriages in Utah. The information provided below will walk you through the steps one must follow to become a minister and perform a valid wedding ceremony in the state of Utah.

Quick Facts
  • ULC Ordination Accepted: Yes
  • Minister Registration Required: No
  • Minister's Residency: Irrelevant
  • Minister's Minimum Age: 18
  • Marriage License Waiting Period: 0 Days
  • Marriage License Valid For: 32 Days
  • Marriage License Return Within: 14 Days
Regional Information

For more specific information about performing a wedding in certain parts of Utah, choose a location below. If your area isn't listed, don't worry - just continue scrolling to review the helpful general information on this page.

1 How to Become an Ordained Minister in Utah

If you haven't already, you should get ordained online with the Universal Life Church. Ordination is free and can be completed in just a matter of minutes. Thousands of legally valid marriages are performed by ULC ministers around the world every year. Begin the process by clicking the big blue button below!

2 Officiating a Wedding in Utah

Next, you should contact the office of your local marriage authority (typically your county clerk). Let them know that you are a minister of the Universal Life Church in Seattle, and ask what they will require of you to officiate a legal marriage.

Select your County Clerk to quickly generate the contact information for your local marriage authority.

Select a county contact

3 Utah Officiant Requirements

After you've contacted your marriage authority, you should visit our online store to purchase whatever documentation will be required. We typically advise ministers in Utah to get an Ordination Package. While minister registration is not required in the state of Utah, you may be asked to present proof of your ordination before your county clerk will accept any marriage you perform as having been legally solemnized; additionally, having that proof of ordination can provide a great deal of peace-of-mind for the couple you plan to marry. Additionally, please attempt to leave at least 3 weeks between the date of the wedding ceremony and your order, to ensure that you receive all of your materials in advance.

4 How to get Married in Utah

Utah's Top Wedding Spot

Utah's Top Wedding Spot

Sandstone arch in Canyonlands National Park

Now that you've done all of the above, you are ready to perform the wedding! Be sure that the couple has picked up their Utah marriage license from the appropriate office. This license is valid for 30 days, but there is no mandatory waiting period between when the couple picks up the marriage license in Utah and when the ceremony may legally be conducted. Please be aware that the signed license must be returned to the issuing office within 14 days after the ceremony has been conducted.

At the Universal Life Church we receive several calls from wedding officiants in Utah, after they've received their license to marry by getting ordained online, asking for guidance on how to perform a wedding ceremony. Once the legal matters have been taken care of, officiating a wedding (while a sometimes-daunting task) can be a great deal of fun. We would suggest that new Utah wedding ministers concerned about the ceremony peruse one of our helpful wedding guides. The minister training section of our website should offer a helpful refresher for more experienced ministers.

5 Planning a Wedding in Utah

So, you’re going to be performing a wedding in Utah; there’s a few things you'll want to keep in mind for this unique state. For example, 39 percent of weddings here take place during the summer months, so outdoor wedding venues in Utah may need to be booked far in advance between June and August. Much of Utah is a semi-arid climate, so make sure to dress appropriately (including comfortable footwear), especially if the couple is considering homestead or greenhouse wedding venues that don’t offer much protection from the heat. People often wonder what is appropriate to charge for their service as a minister in Utah, but the truth is that there is no simple answer. The level of involvement the couple expects of the minister, as well as prior experience or even the distance one must travel to reach the venue can all influence a minister’s fees.

Utah Marriage Code

Utah Flag

Utah Marriage Code

Marriage in Utah is governed by Chapter 1 of Title 30 of Utah's Code. Ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church have successfully solemnized thousands of weddings in the state. Below, you will find that we have reproduced a relevant excerpt of this code

30-1-6. Who may solemnize marriages -- Certificate. (1) Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only: (a) ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are: (i) in regular communion with any religious society; and (ii) 18 years of age or older; [...] View the Utah Statutes on the official state site.

⇓ Show the rest

Learn All About Marriage Law in Utah

See the Full Statutes

Are you Considering Becoming a Minister in Utah?

See the Steps to UT Ordination

Proceed to your Ordination Application

Become Ordained

Beaver County

105 E. Center St.
Beaver, Utah

Phone: (435) 438-6463
Fax: (435) 213-1752
Beaver County website »

Box Elder County

01 South Main, Room 10
Brigham City, Utah

Phone: (435) 734-3393
Fax: (435) 723-7562
Box Elder County website »

Cache County

179 North Main St, Suite 102
Logan, Utah

Phone: (435) 755-1460
Cache County website »

Carbon County

751 E 100 N, Suite 1100
Price, Utah

Phone: (435) 636-3224
Carbon County website »

Daggett County

95 North 1st West
Manila, Utah

Phone: (435) 784-3154
Fax: (435) 784-3335
Daggett County website »

Davis County

61 South Main Street, Room 104
Farmington, Utah

Phone: (801) 451-3213
Fax: (801) 451-3421
Davis County website »

Duchesne County

734 North Center Street
Duchesne, Utah

Phone: (435) 738-1100
Duchesne County website »

Emery County

75 East Main St.
Castle Dale, Utah

Phone: (435) 381-3550 ext 3551
Fax: (435) 381-5183
Emery County website »

Garfield County

55 South Main Street
Panguitch, Utah

Phone: (435) 676-1120
Garfield County website »

Grand County

125 E. Center St.
Moab, Utah

Phone: (435) 259-1321
Fax: (435) 259-2959
Grand County website »

Iron County

68 South 100 East
Parowan, Utah

Phone: (435) 477-8340
Fax: (435) 477-8847
Iron County website »

Juab County

160 N Main
Nephi, Utah

Phone: (435) 623-3410
Juab County website »

Kane County

76 N Main
Kanab, Utah

Phone: (435) 644-2458
Fax: (435) 644-4965
Kane County website »

Millard County

765 S. Hwy 99, Ste. 6
Fillmore, Utah

Phone: (435) 743-6223
Millard County website »

Morgan County

48 West Young Street, Room 18
Morgan, Utah

Phone: (801) 845-4010
Fax: (801) 845-4012
Morgan County website »

Piute County

550 N Main
Junction, Utah

Phone: (435) 577-2840
Fax: (435) 577-2433
Piute County website »

Rich County

20 S. Main
Randolph, Utah

Phone: (435) 793-2415
Rich County website »

Salt Lake County

2001 South State Street Suite S2 200
Salt Lake City, Utah

Phone: (385) 468-7300
Salt Lake County website »

San Juan County

117 South Main Street
Monticello, Utah

Phone: (435) 587-3223
San Juan County website »

Sanpete County

160 North Main, Suite 202
Manti, Utah

Phone: (435) 835-2131 ext 5
Sanpete County website »

Sevier County

250 N. Main Street, Suite 100
Richfield, Utah

Phone: (435) 893-0401
Sevier County website »

Summit County

60 N. Main St.
Coalville, Utah

Phone: (435) 336-3203
Summit County website »

Tooele County

47 South Main, Room 318
Tooele, Utah

Phone: (435) 843-3140
Fax: (435) 882-7317
Tooele County website »

Uintah County

147 E Main
Vernal, Utah

Phone: (435) 781-5361
Fax: (435) 781-6701
Uintah County website »

Utah County

100 East Center, Suite 3600
Provo, Utah

Phone: (801) 851-8109
Fax: (801) 851-8232
Utah County website »

Wasatch County

25 North Main
Heber, Utah

Phone: (435) 657-3190
Fax: (435) 654-0834
Wasatch County website »

Washington County

197 East Tabernacle
St. George, Utah

Phone: (435) 634-5712
Washington County website »

Wayne County

18 S Main St.
Loa, Utah

Phone: (435) 836-1300
Wayne County website »

Weber County

2380 Washington Blvd, Suite 320
Ogden, Utah

Phone: (801) 399-8400
Weber County website »