New Hampshire Outline

New Hampshire Marriage Laws

Congratulations! If you've found yourself at this page it is likely that you are either planning to be married or have been asked to perform a wedding ceremony in New Hampshire. Ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church have successfully performed thousands of legal marriages in New Hampshire. The information provided below will walk you through the steps one must follow to become a minister and perform a valid wedding ceremony in the state of New Hampshire.

Quick Facts
  • ULC Ordination Accepted: Yes
  • Minister Registration Required: Sometimes
  • Minister's Residency: Relevant
  • Minister's Minimum Age: 18
  • Marriage License Waiting Period: 0 Days
  • Marriage License Valid For: 90 Days
  • Marriage License Return Within: By Expiration

1 How to Become an Ordained Minister in New Hampshire

If you haven't already, you should get ordained online with the Universal Life Church. Ordination is free and can be completed in just a matter of minutes. Thousands of legally valid marriages are performed by ULC ministers around the world every year. Begin the process by clicking the big blue button below!

2 How to Officiate a Marriage in New Hampshire

Next, you should contact the office of your local marriage authority (typically your county clerk). Let them know that you are a minister of the Universal Life Church in Seattle, and ask what they will require of you to officiate a legal marriage.

Select your county to quickly generate the contact information for your local marriage authority.

Select a county

New Hampshire's Top Wedding Spot

New Hampshire's Top Wedding Spot

Mount Washington Valley's Brass Heart Inn set on a 1746 colonial-era farm

3 License to Marry in New Hampshire

After you've contacted your marriage authority, you should visit our online store to purchase whatever documentation will be required. We typically advise ministers in New Hampshire to get an Ordination Package. Minister registration is required for ministers who are not residents of the state, but even if you are a resident you may be asked to display proof of your ordination. Additionally, please attempt to leave at least 3 weeks between the date of the wedding ceremony and your order, to ensure that you receive all of your materials in advance.

Officiating a wedding in New Hampshire is fairly straightforward. Thousands of Universal LIfe Church ministers have successfully solemnized marriage in the state. Simply follow the instructions provided to you by the county clerk using the documents provided by the Universal Life Church and you'll be fine.

4 How to Perform a Wedding in New Hampshire

Now that you've done all of the above, you are ready to perform the wedding! Be sure that the couple has picked up their New Hampshire marriage license from the appropriate office. This license is valid for 90 days, and there is no waiting period between when the couple picks up the marriage license and when the ceremony may legally be conducted. The signed license must be returned to the issuing office by its date of expiry. At the Universal Life Church we receive several calls from wedding officiants in New Hampshire, after they've received their license to marry by getting ordained online, asking for guidance on how to perform a wedding ceremony. Once the legal matters have been taken care of, officiating a wedding (while a sometimes-daunting task) can be a great deal of fun. We would suggest that new New Hampshire wedding ministers concerned about the ceremony peruse one of our helpful wedding guides. The minister training section of our website should offer a helpful refresher for more experienced ministers.

New Hampshire Flag

New Hampshire Marriage Code

Marriage in New Hampshire is governed by Chapter 457 of Title 43 of the New Hampshire statutes. Ministers ordained online with the Universal Life Church, in addition to a select group of other individuals, are legally permitted to perform marriage in the state. Below, you will find that we have reproduced one portion of this code.
457:31 Solemnization of Marriage. " A marriage may be solemnized in the following manner:

I. In a civil ceremony by a justice of the peace as commissioned by the state, by a state supreme court justice, superior court judge, or circuit court judge, and by judges of the United States appointed pursuant to Article III of the United States Constitution, by bankruptcy judges appointed pursuant to Article I of the United States Constitution, or by United States magistrate judges appointed pursuant to federal law; or

II. In a religious ceremony by any minister of the gospel in the state who has been ordained according to the usage of his or her denomination, resides in the state, and is in regular standing with the denomination; by any member of the clergy who is not ordained but is engaged in the service of the religious body to which he or she belongs, and who resides in the state, after being licensed therefor by the secretary of state; or within his or her parish, by any minister residing out of the state, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in this state.

View the New Hampshire Statutes on the official state site
⇓ Show the rest

Belknap Probate Court

64 Court Street
P.O. Box 1343
Laconia, New Hampshire

Belknap Probate Court website »

Carroll Probate Court

96 Water Village Road
Box 1
Ossipee, New Hampshire

Carroll Probate Court website »

Cheshire Probate Court

12 Court Street
Keene, New Hampshire

Cheshire Probate Court website »

Coos Probate Court

55 School Street
Lancaster, New Hampshire

Coos Probate Court website »

Grafton Probate Court

3785 Dartmouth College Highway
Box 3
North Haverhill, New Hampshire

Grafton Probate Court website »

Hillsboro Probate Court

30 Spring Street
P.O. Box 387
Nashua, New Hampshire

Hillsboro Probate Court website »

Merrimack Probate Court

163 North Main Street
Concord, New Hampshire

Merrimack Probate Court website »

Rockingham Probate Court

10 Route 125
Brentwood, New Hampshire

Rockingham Probate Court website »

Strafford Probate Court

County Farm Road
P.O. Box 799
Dover, New Hampshire

Strafford Probate Court website »

Sullivan Probate Court

22 Main Street
P.O. Box 417
Newport, New Hampshire

Sullivan Probate Court website »