Hawaii Marriage Laws

Created and reviewed for accuracy by researchers at the Universal Life Church Ministries

Hawaii Outline

Congratulations! If you've found yourself at this page it is likely that you are either planning to be married or have been asked to perform a wedding ceremony in Hawaii. Ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church have successfully performed thousands of legal marriages in Hawaii. The information provided below will walk you through the steps one must follow to become a minister and perform a valid wedding ceremony in the state of Hawaii.

Quick Facts
  • ULC Ordination Accepted: Yes
  • Minister Registration Required: Yes
  • Minister's Residency: Irrelevant
  • Minister's Minimum Age: 18
  • Marriage License Waiting Period: 0 Days
  • Marriage License Valid For: 30 Days
  • Marriage License Return Within: By Expiration

1 How to Become an Ordained Minister in Hawaii

If you haven't already, you should get ordained online with the Universal Life Church. Ordination is free and can be completed in just a matter of minutes. Thousands of legally valid marriages are performed by ULC ministers around the world every year. Begin the process by clicking the big blue button below!

2 How to Officiate a Marriage in Hawaii

In Hawaii unlike the other 49 states, marriage licenses and registration of officiants is NOT handled at the County level. It is handled at the State level through the State of Hawaii Dept. of Health. Ordained ministers, including Universal Life Church ministers, become "Licensed Religious Marriage Performers" by registering through the state and paying the appropriate fee.

Please register here after you become ordained: State of Hawaii Dept of Health Once registered, Dept of Health issues an official license certificate. It is a quick and simple process.

Select your Department of Health to quickly generate the contact information for your local marriage authority.

Select a county contact

Hawaii's Top Wedding Spot

Hawaii's Top Wedding Spot

A luau and a ceremonial blowing of the conch on Maui's Kaanapali Beach

3 License to Marry in Hawaii

After you've contacted your marriage authority, you should visit our online store to purchase whatever documentation will be required. We typically advise ministers in Hawaii to get an Ordination Package and to add a Letter of Good Standing to their order. Minister registration is required in the state of Hawaii; you must register with your local marriage authority before the marriages you perform will be accepted as having been legally solemnized. Additionally, please attempt to leave at least 3 weeks between the date of the wedding ceremony and your order, to ensure that you receive all of your materials in advance.

4 How to Perform a Wedding in Hawaii

Now that you've done all of the above, you are ready to perform the wedding! Be sure that the couple has picked up their Hawaii marriage license from the appropriate office. This license is only valid for 30 days, but there is no mandatory waiting period between when the couple receives the marriage license in Hawaii and when the ceremony may be legally performed. Please be aware that the signed license must be returned to the issuing office by its date of expiry.

At the Universal Life Church we receive several calls from wedding officiants in Hawaii, after they've received their license to marry by getting ordained online, asking for guidance on how to perform a wedding ceremony. Once the legal matters have been taken care of, officiating a wedding (while a sometimes-daunting task) can be a great deal of fun. We would suggest that new Hawaii wedding ministers concerned about the ceremony peruse one of our helpful wedding guides. The minister training section of our website should offer a helpful refresher for more experienced ministers.

Hawaii Flag

Hawaii Marriage Code

Marriage in Hawaii is governed by Chapter 572 Title 31 of Hawaii's Codified Statutes. Ministers who got ordained online with the Universal Life Church have successfully solemnized thousands of weddings in the state. Below, you will find that we have reproduced a relevant excerpt of this code.
572-12 By whom solemnized. A license to solemnize marriages may be issued to, and the marriage rite may be performed and solemnized by any minister, priest, or officer of any religious denomination or society who has been ordained or is authorized to solemnize marriages according to the usages of such denomination or society, or any religious society not having clergy but providing solemnization in accordance with the rules and customs of that society, or any justice or judge or magistrate, active or retired, of a state or federal court in the State, upon presentation to such person or society of a license to marry, as prescribed by this chapter. Such person or society may receive the price stipulated by the parties or the gratification tendered. [CC 1859, §1285; RL 1925, §2950; am L 1929, c 104, §6; RL 1935, §4640; RL 1945, §12361; RL 1955, §323-12; HRS §572-12; am L 1969, c 19, §2; am L 1974, c 15, §1]

Case Notes

In adultery, testimony of clergy who was authorized to solemnize and perform marriage is admissible. 10 H. 440.
If record introduced, not necessary to prove that celebrant had authority to solemnize. 10 H. 442.
No ceremony necessary, but license is. 25 H. 397, rev'g 16 H. 377.
Cited: 74 H. 530, 852 P.2d 44.

View the Hawaii Statutes on the official state site
⇓ Show the rest

City and County of Honolulu

1250 Punchbowl St
Honolulu, Hawaii

Phone: (808) 586-4544
City and County of Honolulu website »

Hawaii County

25 Aupuni St
Hilo, Hawaii

Phone: (808) 586-4400
Hawaii County website »

Kalawao County

2987 Umi St
Lihue, Hawaii

Phone: (808) 246-2779
Kalawao County website »

Kauai County

4396 Rice Street, Suite 209
Līhuʻe, Hawaii

Phone: (808) 241-3498
Kauai County website »

Maui County

200 S. High St. Kalana O Maui Bldg, 6th fl.
Wailuku, Hawaii

Phone: (808) 586-4533
Maui County website »