Shawnee County seal

Preparing to officiate a wedding in Shawnee County? If you’ve been asked to perform a wedding ceremony, congratulations! Presiding over the formation of this important bond is an incredible honor, but it comes with considerable responsibility as well. Let’s explore the process in detail to make sure you’re up to speed on everything that will be required of you. In this guide, we’ll touch on how to prepare for a wedding ceremony, how to get in touch with the relevant office you'll be dealing with, and how to ensure the marriage is legally recognized in Shawnee County.

1 How to Get Ordained as a Minister in Shawnee County

First up: you'll want to get ordained as a minister of the Universal Life Church (if you haven’t already completed this step). ULC ordination is available online, free of charge, and gives the recipient the power to perform legal wedding ceremonies! Best of all, the process takes only moments to complete. You can begin by tapping the button below!

Key Info for Ministers in Shawnee County

ULC Ordination Accepted:
Minister Registration Required:
Documents Required:
Minister's Residency:
Minister's Minimum Age:

2 How to Officiate a Wedding in Shawnee County

Your next move will be to contact the government office that handles marriages and marriage licenses in Shawnee County. Let them know you’re an ordained minister planning to perform a wedding in their district and want to understand what documents or information they will need from you before the ceremony.

Information for how to get in touch with this office in Shawnee County can be found below.

Office Address:
200 SE 7th St.
Topeka, KS 66603
Office Phone Number:
(785) 251-4327

3 What You'll Need to Officiate in Shawnee County

Once you've confirmed what is required to perform a wedding in Shawnee County, head over to our online catalog to order any documentation or supplies you might need to officiate. For ministers in Shawnee County, we typically suggest the Ordination Package. However, this decision will ultimately depend on what you learn from speaking with local officials.

4 How Shawnee County Marriage Licenses Work

Now you’re ready to officiate the wedding! If this is your first time performing a wedding (or even if it’s not) we'd encourage you to take a moment to check out our wedding training center, which has tons of helpful tips and tools to prepare for the big day.

Once the ceremony is over, the last key box to check is completing the marriage license. In Shawnee County, this license is valid for 6 months, there is a mandatory 3-day waiting period, and the completed license must be returned before its listed expiration date. To learn more about how to fill out this document, please visit our marriage license training guide.

Marriage License Waiting Period:
3 Days
Marriage License Valid For:
6 Months
Return Within:
10 Days

5 What to Know About Shawnee County Weddings

Shawnee is the third largest county in Kansas and encompasses the state capital of Topeka. The name of this county comes from the Shawnee tribe of nomadic Native Americans who originally inhabited the plains. It is comprised of over ninety percent plains land, bordered on the western edge by hills, and dotted with woodlands that surround the meandering Kansas River. The rich history allows for several wonderful museum or historical venue options, as well as many outdoor or barn wedding locations for couples to choose from.