Idaho Outline

Idaho Marriage Laws

Congratulations! If you've found yourself at this page it is likely that you are either planning to be married or have been asked to perform a wedding ceremony in Idaho. Ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church have successfully performed thousands of legal marriages in Idaho. The information provided below will walk you through the steps one must follow to become a minister and perform a valid wedding ceremony in the state of Idaho.

Quick Facts
  • ULC Ordination Accepted: Yes
  • Minister Registration Required: Sometimes
  • Minister's Residency: Irrelevant
  • Minister's Minimum Age: 18
  • Marriage License Waiting Period: 0 Days
  • Marriage License Valid For: 1 Year
  • Marriage License Return Within: 30 Days

1 How to Become an Ordained Minister in Idaho

If you haven't already, you should get ordained online with the Universal Life Church. Ordination is free and can be completed in just a matter of minutes. Thousands of legally valid marriages are performed by ULC ministers around the world every year. Begin the process by clicking the big blue button below!

2 How to Officiate a Marriage in Idaho

Next, you should contact the office of your local marriage authority (typically your county clerk). Let them know that you are a minister of the Universal Life Church in Seattle, and ask what they will require of you to officiate a legal marriage.

Select your county to quickly generate the contact information for your local marriage authority.

Select a county

Idaho's Top Wedding Spot

Idaho's Top Wedding Spot

Inside the log-hewn Sawtooth Valley Meditation Chapel, in Stanley

3 License to Marry in Idaho

After you've contacted your marriage authority, you should visit our online store to purchase whatever documentation will be required. We typically advise ministers in Idaho to get an Ordination Package and to add a Letter of Good Standing to their order. While Minister registration is not technically required in Idaho you it has been reported to us by ULC Ministers in the state that they are often required to present proof of their ordination to the county clerk before the marriages they perform will be accepted as having been legally solemnized. Having this proof of your ordination will also provide peace-of-mind to any couple that you intend to marry. Additionally, please attempt to leave at least 3 weeks between the date of the wedding ceremony and your order, to ensure that you receive all of your materials in advance.

4 How to Perform a Wedding in Idaho

Now that you've done all of the above, you are ready to perform the wedding! Be sure that the couple has picked up their Idaho marriage license from the appropriate office. This license is valid for 1 year, and there is no mandatory waiting period between when the couple receives the marriage license in Idaho and when the ceremony may be legally performed. Please be aware that the signed license must be returned to the issuing office within 30 days of the wedding ceremony. At the Universal Life Church we receive several calls from wedding officiants in Idaho, after they've received their license to marry by getting ordained online, asking for guidance on how to perform a wedding ceremony. Once the legal matters have been taken care of, officiating a wedding (while a sometimes-daunting task) can be a great deal of fun. We would suggest that new Idaho wedding ministers concerned about the ceremony peruse one of our helpful wedding guides. The minister training section of our website should offer a helpful refresher for more experienced ministers.

Idaho Flag

Idaho Marriage Code

Marriage in Idaho is governed by Title 32 of the Idaho statutes. Ministers who got ordained online with the Universal Life Church have successfully solemnized thousands of weddings in the state. Below, you will find that we have reproduced a relevant excerpt of this code.
32-303. BY WHOM SOLEMNIZED. Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following Idaho officials: a current or retired justice of the supreme court, a current or retired court of appeals judge, a current or retired district judge, the current or a former governor, the current lieutenant governor, a current or retired magistrate of the district court, a current mayor or by any of the following: a current federal judge, a current tribal judge of an Idaho Indian tribe or other tribal official approved by an official act of an Idaho Indian tribe or priest or minister of the gospel of any denomination. To be a retired justice of the supreme court, court of appeals judge, district judge or magistrate judge of the district court, for the purpose of solemnizing marriages, a person shall have served in one (1) of those offices and shall be receiving a retirement benefit from either the judges retirement system or the public employee retirement system for service in the Idaho judiciary.

View the Idaho Statutes on the official state site
⇓ Show the rest

Lewis County Clerk

510 Oak Street
Nezperce, Idaho

Phone: (208) 937-2661
Fax: (208) 937-9234
Lewis County Clerk website »

Lincoln County Clerk

111 West B Street
Shoshone, Idaho

Phone: (208) 886-7641
Fax: (208) 886-2798
Lincoln County Clerk website »

Madison County Recorder

P.O. Box 389
Rexburg, Idaho

Phone: (208) 356-3662
Fax: (208) 356-8396
Madison County Recorder website »

Minidoka County Recorder

P.O. Box 368
Rupert, Idaho

Phone: (208) 436-9511
Fax: (208) 436-9061
Minidoka County Recorder website »

Nez Perce County Recorder

P.O. Box 896
Lewiston, Idaho

Phone: (208) 799-3020
Fax: (208) 799-3070
Nez Perce County Recorder website »

Oneida County Clerk

10 Court Street
Malad City, Idaho

Phone: (208) 766-4116
Fax: (208) 766-2448
Oneida County Clerk website »

Owyhee County Clerk

P.O. Box 128
Murphy, Idaho

Phone: (208) 495-2421
Fax: (208) 495-1173
Owyhee County Clerk website »

Payette County Recorder

1130 3rd Avenue North
Payette, Idaho

Phone: (208) 642-6000
Fax: (208) 642-6011
Payette County Recorder website »

Power County Clerk

543 Bannock Avenue
American Falls, Idaho

Phone: (208) 226-7611
Fax: (208) 226-7612
Power County Clerk website »

Shoshone County Clerk

700 Bank Street
Wallace, Idaho

Phone: (208) 752-1264
Fax: (208) 752-8881
Shoshone County Clerk website »

Teton County Recorder

89 North Main #1
Driggs, Idaho

Phone: (208) 354-2905
Fax: (208) 354-8410
Teton County Recorder website »

Twin Falls County Recorder

P.O. Box 126
Twin Falls, Idaho

Phone: (208) 736-4004
Fax: (208) 736-4182
Twin Falls County Recorder website »

Valley County Recorder

P.O. Box 1350
Cascade, Idaho

Phone: (208) 382-4297
Fax: (208) 382-7107
Valley County Recorder website »

Washington County Clerk

P.O. Box 670
Weiser, Idaho

Phone: (208) 549-2092
Fax: (208) 414-3925
Washington County Clerk website »