New year's resolutions

It’s estimated that the majority of people who make New Year’s resolutions quit them by March. Will yours stick?

The crazy year of 2016 has finally come to a close, leaving many of us breathing a sigh of relief. As we look back on the past 12 months, there were plenty of reasons to feel disillusioned. From the toxic political climate, to the slew of tragic terrorist attacks, to the passing of many of our favorite celebrities, 2016 made the record books for all the wrong reasons. However, with the New Year now upon us, there is a chance for a fresh start. 2017 offers an opportunity to move forward and work for a brighter future, both for society as a whole and for us as individuals.

What better way to start anew than by making a New Year’s resolution? We’d love to hear what you’re planning to do differently in 2017. Share your resolutions through the interactive poll below, and vote for your favorite one!

What is your New Year's resolution?
  • My resolution is very simple. I want to become a better man, human being and Christian with the goal of sharing the Lords words to as many that will listen.* 14%, 52 votes
    52 votes 14%
    52 votes - 14% of all votes
  • Lose weight 11%, 43 votes
    43 votes 11%
    43 votes - 11% of all votes
  • I desire to see the body of Christ come to maturity and be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit, Igniting people into their God given destiny.* 7%, 26 votes
    26 votes 7%
    26 votes - 7% of all votes
  • To be more physically active.* 7%, 25 votes
    25 votes 7%
    25 votes - 7% of all votes
  • Learn a new skill 6%, 23 votes
    23 votes 6%
    23 votes - 6% of all votes
  • Quit smoking 6%, 21 vote
    21 vote 6%
    21 vote - 6% of all votes
  • To stand still in critical situations and listen for Gods direction* 5%, 19 votes
    19 votes 5%
    19 votes - 5% of all votes
  • To be in the moment as much as possible.* 4%, 14 votes
    14 votes 4%
    14 votes - 4% of all votes
  • Mine is very simple, but hard sometimes to keep. I want to be the great person my dog thinks I am.* 3%, 13 votes
    13 votes 3%
    13 votes - 3% of all votes
  • to start a church but have no idea what to do can you please give some direction thank you* 3%, 13 votes
    13 votes 3%
    13 votes - 3% of all votes
  • Stabilise Christ Consciousness* 3%, 12 votes
    12 votes 3%
    12 votes - 3% of all votes
  • Become more Christ Like inbracing the commandments of the Bible teachings!* 3%, 12 votes
    12 votes 3%
    12 votes - 3% of all votes
  • To be human and find all the wonderful things I could full fill.* 3%, 11 votes
    11 votes 3%
    11 votes - 3% of all votes
  • Find a new job 3%, 10 votes
    10 votes 3%
    10 votes - 3% of all votes
  • To not make resolutions, but instead to keep on trying to be the best I can be, and if I lose weight, quit smoking, eat right, be a better Christian to my fellow humans and God, that would be great.* 3%, 10 votes
    10 votes 3%
    10 votes - 3% of all votes
  • Get a dog* 2%, 9 votes
    9 votes 2%
    9 votes - 2% of all votes
  • to not have a resolution but to have the theme of mindfulness, and patience.* 2%, 7 votes
    7 votes 2%
    7 votes - 2% of all votes
  • To Enjoy the Little Things in Life* 2%, 6 votes
    6 votes 2%
    6 votes - 2% of all votes
  • To join the boycott of Trump's inauguration. And avoid Trump in the newspapers and in Tv. If it too depressing I'll move to Panama until he's out of office. To sign the inevitable impeachment petition. To continue writing to senators and congresspeople. To pray America survives the bigotry and lack of scruples of both Trump and Pence.* 1%, 5 votes
    5 votes 1%
    5 votes - 1% of all votes
  • The resolution about the president elect does not belong on this list. Where is the seperation of church and state? no one csres about your personal feelings, get over it she lost. And you are free to leave as soon as possible. I will pray fir Panama* 1%, 5 votes
    5 votes 1%
    5 votes - 1% of all votes
  • Take a vacation (never had one)!* 1%, 4 votes
    4 votes 1%
    4 votes - 1% of all votes
  • To enjoy nature and the outdoors more. Find peace among the trees.* 1%, 4 votes
    4 votes 1%
    4 votes - 1% of all votes
  • Spend more time in contemplative meditation.* 1%, 4 votes
    4 votes 1%
    4 votes - 1% of all votes
  • To be closer to God* 1%, 3 votes
    3 votes 1%
    3 votes - 1% of all votes
  • My New Years Resolution is to not make any Resolutions.* 1%, 3 votes
    3 votes 1%
    3 votes - 1% of all votes
  • To be more loving and hold tension between loving and reacting to unloving activities or statements.* 1%, 3 votes
    3 votes 1%
    3 votes - 1% of all votes
  • I don't make resolutions. If I need to change something about myself I don't wait. I do it immediately!* 1%, 2 votes
    2 votes 1%
    2 votes - 1% of all votes
  • start walking again and not use a wheel chair* 1%, 2 votes
    2 votes 1%
    2 votes - 1% of all votes
  • More volunteer work* 1%, 2 votes
    2 votes 1%
    2 votes - 1% of all votes
  • Reducing my use of single-use plastic items like sample cups and plastic bottles and eliminate my use of plastic straws* 1%, 2 votes
    2 votes 1%
    2 votes - 1% of all votes
  • To have one day per week free from the internet. Spending it instead enjoying the outdoors, reading an actual book, and creating something with my hands.* 0%, 1 vote
  • To be lead by God's will & marry on 9/29/17* 0%, 1 vote
    1 vote - 0% of all votes
  • To start Molesting small animals like Fish, Cat's, Birds and Rabbits* 0%, 1 vote
    1 vote - 0% of all votes
  • To align with right livelihood and home, so that I can live in purpose and be of service. Happy, Joyous and Free!* 0%, 1 vote
  • to relocate to Georgia and have my own church* 0%, 1 vote
    1 vote - 0% of all votes
  • My New Years Resolution is to find source and Donations or charity for our Churc..* 0%, 1 vote
  • To become the true Minister of Happy.* 0%, 1 vote
  • Spend more quality time with family and friends.* 0%, 1 vote
    1 vote - 0% of all votes
  • To grow a beard, to invest my energy in our Centipede pet family and to legally have my name changed.* 0%, 1 vote
    1 vote - 0% of all votes
  • What kind of things do i have to pro - mise or si(g)n for if i dont have anything to improve but to walk the way i talk* 0%, 1 vote
  • To be more Christian* 0%, 1 vote
    1 vote - 0% of all votes
  • To start a online bakery and help my fellow woman/man find christ and keep him in their hearts and life always.* 0%, 1 vote
Total Votes: 377
Voters:195
January 4, 2017 - January 15, 2017
* - added by visitor
Voting is closed

Add a new resolution or vote for an existing one!

History of Resolutions

New Year’s resolutions have a long history. In fact, some historians date their origins all the way back some 4,000 years ago to ancient Babylonian times. The Babylonians were the first people to record holding celebrations to welcome in the new year. During each celebration, they would make promises – or resolutions – to the gods for that upcoming year. If they followed through on their promises, the Babylonians believed they would receive favor from the gods. Failing to follow through, however, meant bad luck for the future.

Resolutions TodayA few example New Year's resolutions

These days, New Year’s resolutions no longer have the same religious connotation. While some prayers may be said to higher beings, the practice of making resolutions is largely a secular one. Instead of promising things to the gods, we set goals for ourselves – things like losing weight, quitting smoking, or finally going back to school. It’s probably a good thing the gods are no longer involved, because most of us would be cursed with bad luck – studies show that while 45 percent of Americans choose to make New Year’s resolutions, fewer than 8 percent actually achieve the stated goals. In fact, it’s estimated that the majority of people who make New Year’s resolutions quit them by March.

Our Resolutions

In the spirit of the occasion, we have set a couple of goals to guide us in the year 2017.

Be more open-minded:

There is far too much divisiveness in the world today. As human beings we are all in this together, yet the many barriers to civil discussion prevent us from unifying to reach common goals. We could all benefit from being open to opposing ideas – doing so will allow us to better understand each other and create opportunities to work together.

Stand up for what we believe in:

While we will continue our search to understand all sides of every issue, we will not compromise on our core belief that we are all children of the same universe. All people, and all belief systems, are equal and ought to be treated so. In this respect, the ULC will always stand up against injustice in the world.

1. Rev.Dr.Yanel J. Laroche Jr. & Priscilla the Chastity the female archangel says:

Rev.Dr.Yanel J. Laroche Jr.: I am a black American U.S. citizen ordained through Universal Life Church Ministries that wants to make a resolution for 2017.That is, to find a way to make money in book sells for my book: “My Rhyming Love Poems”.I can talk and write in rhymes daily without memorizing anything.And I never made a donation online nor a book sell while talking in rhymes on Facebook.com for many weeks. I am also a victim of theft.

Priscilla the Chastity the female archangel: My resolution is to get my daddy Rev.Dr.Yanel J. Laroche Jr. to keep shaving daily really.And to never grow a beard nor a mustache on our face again. I am a female ghost in his soul called Priscilla the Chastity the female archangel. And I can also talk in rhymes anytime I want. Me and my daddy are a talented spiritual poet that love summoning spirits that poeticize and rhyme too. Why do so many Americans think my husband Rev.Dr.Yanel J. Laroche Jr. does illegal drugs when he doesn’t? He can always talk in rhymes because he is a talented poet that was always drug-free. Amen.

1. Valorie Mahas says:

I learned many years ago that making multiple New Years Resolutions is almost a guannteed failure. As people bite off more they can chew, causing anger and frustration. What I did was write down 12 resolutions on paper and put them into a jar. At the beginning of the month you pick one and focus on that one while you still have the previous resolution on board and doing that one as well. That way of doing it has sure worked for me! Valorie Mahas RN

2. Janice johnson says:

This is very odd and a bit scary

2. maiane santos Santos says:

I made a resolution 50 or more years ago, n

3. Richard Johnson says:

I have a few resolutions this year that I am actively going to try to achieve. First, as President Obama is leaving office, I will be reflecting on how many lives were touched by him and his administration. He has done phenomenal things for our great country and I can only hope that the next…person…that was voted in can pick up the torch and really run with it (as optimistic as that sounds). I would also like to rebuild some of the bridges that I have burned with my family and get to know my siblings better.
    2017 will be the year that I finally go full vegan. I have been dancing around it for quite some time, however I feel that this year I need to drastically change my life.
    The black lives matter movement has really started to pick up momentum so I am hoping that as a fellow minority, I can find a way to become more involved with fighting for equal rights for ALL of us, not just the privileged few.

1. David says:

There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man. Peace to you my brother!

4. Bernard Moleman says:

2017 will be a big year of CHANGE for me. Hopefully with the reapeal of Obamacare and fewer leeches on the system, I can finally get treatment for my arthritic hands. I’m hoping to become employed this year as well, I was semi-retired but with my tax dollars supporting so many dope smoking black lives matter activists I’m going to have to work part time.

Finally I hope I can find it within myself to forgive my son who has taken a path that is unholy, unrighteous and unsavory. I pray he can repent, but if he cannot I hope I can find the strength to let him back into my life and my home.

1. Zen Charlie says:

It is evident you are hurting. I hope you find some peace.

2. Sundai Barahona Lawrence says:

I can see that you are truly a Christian…How sad and how truly ignorant of you to think that Black Lives Matter activists are dope smokers..You call others leeches while knocking them out the way so you can have your turn at the trough- your arthritis is so much more important than other folks illnesses.You sicken me.

5. Jacinta Patrick says:

Abbess Jessie

12/01/2017

What a Wonderful year 2017 – With radiant health and strength from God, I will continue to be a Servant for Almighty God, a Counsellor to those who encounter mistreatment in the Universe, and to continue to feed the homeless.

6. Jon G Terhune says:

Appreciate the beauty of Creation in her smallest of her details.. Remember that the goodness and Love are eternal.

7. Christy says:

Hmmm started year in reflection with Shingles. Slow down, do the things that bring Joy in my world.

8. Keasha Acosta says:

My new year’s resolution is to put in motion the process of getting a major surgery. I am going to quit smoking and start dieting and exercise and saving up the money I need to cover the $1500 deductable. Most of all I am going to start praying and mending my relationship with our Lord and savior.

1. Janet Cobb says:

Amen, heavenly Father touch this your child and bring all to pass that she desires in her heart dear Lord. Right now in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Amen. Have a blessed day sister in Christ.

9. Monica Gaskin says:

I have to attune my ears to God’s voice in order to hear him. Sometimes he speaks through people i would not chose to follow an he often says things that i’m not expecting to hear. But he will provide me with solutions to my problems if i’m willing to listen to him through whomever he put before me.

10. julitachilean says:

to learn more from each suffering and each experience that is given to me and adquiere wisdome to be able to help others

11. Janet Cobb says:

To become stronger and bolder in my walk with Christ. To become more sinsnsitive to the needs of my fellow Christians who are hurting so bad until their light is dim. To seek the wisdom of the ways of God.
    This is my prayers for the New year.

12. Caroline Wells says:

I want to take better care of myself and my health.

13. Pamela says:

As a minister in the UK I will make it a point to tell one person a day just how much they light up my life for just being in it.

14. George Gibson says:

At the end of last year our slate was wiped clean this is a new year to do all we can do for Jesus and his purpose I want to be the best warrior for my Lord that I can be I want to be able to help family friends and anyone that comes in contact with me or I with them to see Jesus only Jesus God is great God is good all the time and all the time God is good and God is great remember to love Jesus first and all other things will come easy the slate I’m talking about is not one of the world it is one of your spiritual Walk With Jesus and when I said it was wiped clean I did not mean that God doesn’t remember it I meant that God has put it aside as another year and gives us 2017 2 do better for Jesus so at the end of 2017 or so it will be clean it will not have as many bad marks on it because just like any resolution that you try to do in a new year you will often fail a good way not to feel for Jesus is to read the Bible and pray then pray then pray then pray then pray some more and read your Bible may God bless Anyone who reads this and remember to always love Jesus

15. Arvel Bird says:

My resolution for the year 2017 is to be the Mastery of love. In 2016 my goal was to live without fear and I achieve that. The greatest goal of all is to Live From The Heart Center.

16. Mary A. Price says:

Also I plan to be more active in advancing issues of importance, and to try to build a more well-informed electorate.

17. Wen says:

Every year I adopt a word. This year my word is “grace”

1. Cathi Fleet Robinson says:

beautiful but let us all be gracious in defending acys against others…

18. PAM RAFFIELD says:

AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH YEAR I ASK GOD FOR A WORD FROM THE BIBLE THIS YEAR HE GAVE ME DEATH AND LIFE ARE INTHE TOUNGE

19. Chris Auchey says:

My resolution is to see that all of Pennsylvania recognises ulc ministers and there ordinations and the ulc as a whole and have all ulc ordonations become legal in all of Pennsylvania.

20. MrsRevB says:

I wish to learn better self care and stop being my worst critic.

21. Cathi Fleet Robinson says:

We must all stop staying to be a better Christian as if others of faith are not “good” – let’s say become better human beings… our society depends upon our goodness and acts to defend all people… we must all learn to become more enlightened about our words and stand against ALL bigotry and all actions against our freedoms as our democracy is in jeopardy. REAL news matters and being real matters…

22. Darryll says:

All this religious stuff is not really good as this is what places division amongst races and classes of people. Goal for this year 2017 is o focus on me and the people in and around my camp site. If everyone cleans up their area there would be peace as the homes would be fine the neighbourhoods, the communities, the cities the country, and finally the world…. However all this will never be achieved because we each have a capitalistic mind and it comes at the expense of others… Every religion out there was only created for the control of certain bodies and to create the so called peace and harmony, but what it has created is war both internally (Spiritually) and externally that is today we fight each other….. If I had my wish I want to be a billionaire to feel the live they feel … It is sad that the 1% rich people of the world control us the 99% common and poor people and yet it should be the other way round…. People catch a wakeup you see what they want us to see only Get your eyes open to what is really going on and this is total destruction at the moment….

23. REV. DAILY says:

My wish for the new year is to be able to obtain a ministers job in a church some where in California to be able to reach others for salvation in Jesus Christ. If any one knows of a church that needs a pastor or lead or other pastor please contact me at Pstmike.daily@icloud .com

24. riveramadeline12@gmail.com says:

I want to renew my federal Champlin license. Is expired and unable to contact the ministry who provides.
    International Mission Love & Holiness Inc. From New Jersey .

25. Rev. Phillip Whaley says:

I have bee, given a strong desire to start or lead a church looking for a pastor. but I have never done this and only have little exp. in any of what it takes. So I need help. Is there any thing you can do to help?