Get Ordained
Become a Minister

Select a state to see it's marriage laws

Maine Wedding Laws

How to Perform a Wedding in Maine

You must become an ordained minister of the gospel, or engaged in the service of the religious body to which you belong, or become a person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body.


How to Become an Ordained Minister in Maine

A temporary registration certificate under this subsection expires upon the individual's signing the marriage license or 90 days after issuance, whichever occurs first. An easier alternative is to get ordained online, which is permanent and free.


How to Perform a Wedding Ceremony in Maine

You must keep a record of all marriages you perform. Then you must give the couple a marriage certificate and have the marriage license completed and return it to the county clerk within 90 days after the marriage license was issued. Check out the three-step guide on how to performing a wedding ceremony.

Marriage Paperwork Required in Maine

Have your Ordination Credentials presented to the clerk of the country. As a standard protocol, you must present the signed marriage certificate to the county clerk.

Maine Marriage Laws


655. Authorization; penalties 1. Persons authorized to solemnize marriages. The following may solemnize marriages in this State:

A. If a resident of this State: (1) A justice or judge; (2) A lawyer admitted to the Maine Bar; or (4) A notary public under Title 4, chapter 19; and [2001, c. 574, ?6 (amd).]

B. Whether a resident or nonresident of this State and whether or not a citizen of the United States: (1) An ordained minister of the gospel; (2) A cleric engaged in the service of the religious body to which the cleric belongs; or (3) A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body.

Gay Marriage and Same Sex Wedding Laws: N/A

The Monastery Ordination Credential

To perform a marriage in Maine you need to be ordained and may be required to provide proof of ordination such as your ordination credentials, wallet credential, and or an updated letter of good standing from the church.

Read the full Law on the official site »

Maine Wedding Laws by County

Androscoggin County

2 Turner Street
Auburn, Maine
Phone: (207) 784-8390
Fax: (207) 782-5367

Aroostook County

144 Sweden Street
Caribou, Maine

Phone: (207) 493-3318
Fax: (207) 493-3491
Aroostook County website »

Cumberland County Probate Court

142 Federal Street
Portland, Maine
Phone: (207) 871-8380
Alternate phone: (207) 871-8382
Fax: (207) 871-8292
Cumberland County Probate Court website »

Franklin County Clerk

38 Main Street
Farmington, Maine
Phone: (207) 778-6614

Hancock County

50 State Street
Ellsworth, Maine
Phone: (207) 667-9542
Fmx: (207) 667-1412
Hancock County website »

Kennebec County

95 State Street
Augusta, Maine

Phone: (207) 622-7558
Fax: (207) 621-1639

Knox County

62 Union Street
Rockland, Maine

Phone: (207) 594-0427
Alternate phone: (207) 594-0420
Fax: (207) 594-0863
Knox County website »

Lincoln County

32 High Street
PO Box 249
Wiscasset, Maine
Phone: (207) 882-6311
Fmx: (207) 882-4320
Lincoln County website »

Oxford County

26 Western Avenue
South Paris, Maine
Phone: (207) 743-6359
Fmx: (207) 743-1545
Oxford County website »

Penobscot County

97 Hammond Street
Bangor, Maine

Phone: (207) 942-8769
Alternate phone: (207) 942-8535
Penobscot County website »

Piscataquis County

51 East Main Street
Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
Phone: (207) 564-2431
Alternate phone: (207) 564-2161
Piscataquis County website »

Sagadahoc County

752 High Street
P.O. Box 246
Bath, Maine
Phone: (207) 443-8218
Alternate phone: (207) 443-9332

Somerset County

Court Street
Skowhegan, Maine
Phone: (207) 474-3322
Alternate phone: (207) 474-9861
Somerset County website »

Waldo County

172 High Street
P.O. Box 323
Belfast, Maine
Phone: (207) 338-2780
Alternate phone: (207) 338-3282

Washington County

PO Box 297
Machias, Maine

Phone: (207) 255-6591
Alternate phone: (207) 255-3127

York County

45 Kennebunk Road
Alfred, Maine
Phone: (207) 324-1577
Alternate phone: (207) 324-1571
York County website »